Assetto Corsa Comp Round 4 Spa

Discussion in 'ACC World Tour Series 4 Closed' started by Rob Milliken, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

I wish I could help .. Do we have any IT guys in the group ? I remember reading something in kunos forums regarding certain brands of routers that (for a lack of knowledge of what's actually happening) are purging after long sessions .. In one case the player changed routers/modem & another guy called his ISP and got it sorted .

2. Nelson Abrunhosa

Nelson Abrunhosa Pro Driver

Guys that are dropping off try updating the firmware on the router.

also increase the MTU setting this might help.
    Also if possible make sure you hard wired.
    @Mark Johnson thanks for the great race I had nothing left in last 15 minutes as my foot was swollen with gout . But was gutted you disconnected as you deserved the 9th place after racing for over an hour swapping places and generally avoiding hitting each other. See you at the next round.

• Like Like x 3
  3. I was on the server for about 2 hours, same as Thursday, so that is same for both, however, I've done that before without problems. I'll reset router and reboot before the race next time. Never had internet capacity issues before.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

At the Ring my no-stop run was decided on the fly after I'd spent 40+ minutes fighting for position and eventually got turned around - the numbers suggest that had I gone into that race the way I did here then I probably would have had 2nd...
    Coming into this I'd done the sums and worked out the V12 was faster if it didn't stop (1:45 for a slash and dash - nearly 2 minutes once a tire change is included) so once I worked out what fuel number I had to hit I just drove to that. Anyone who got a good run on me onto a straight was given an indicator so they knew what I was upto and given space - I was rolling out of the throttle 100 meters before the braking point for Les Combes so this should have made things easy for anyone on a stopping run :)

I think a few out-of-place faster cars caught me in some cases as they would often be alongside me before I could find my indicator in the rift!

I had some fun fights despite driving to a number for the whole race, most notably Mr Grewcock who would pass me about 3 or 4 times in the hour me were circulating together - then he'd make a mistake or get hung out by another car and I'd sneak back by :D

I had 2Ltrs left when I crossed the line, I couldn't be sure when the last lap would be declared so was having to conserve right up until the last lap notification came up. Once that happened it was full steam ahead as Micheal was fast approaching and I needed the extra pace to ensure he stayed behind!

Good fun race that - now I just need rain at Suzuka and I'm laughing as the Aston loves the wet ;)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

I asked about this in ACC forums & got this reply :
    Physics in game are on a fixed time scale of real time. After discussing with devs on various Discord servers, it means that the time for water building up on track, or drying out, the time for track temp to decrease, or increase, weather change, at that point you get the idea, is always scale 1. Time acceleration affects time of day / position of sun.
    That said, ofc time acceleration while accelerate shadows cast on track, sun will disappear faster, so you can expect some impact on track temperature gain/loss rate. But underlying physics remains scale one.
    That means unlike some games, x10 time acceleration will not form an ice skating track with large puddles between two laps, it will take time to get the track to change. You can trust the weather widget, and btw, the +/- signs added in 1.5.x are a good indicator of increasing or decreasing weather condition change (interesting to get the trend of the change instead of light rain in 10min light rain in 30min, +/- (or lack thereof) give you a trend.

6. Alex Sander

Alex Sander Pro Driver

On the subject of IT, I'm at IT guy but as far as home hardware is concerned I've never really heard of home routers dropping connections. Myself I've had maybe a dozen routers and never had connectivity issues. Your router might have some logging on it, so it might be worth a shot to take a look there and see. But I've had ACC drop on me when I know there was no interruption in network/internet connectivity. Need to look at logs at client and server ends to see what was the cause.

As far as physics...the track definitely changed during the transitions, but as Rob has mentioned its not at 10x. First stint pressures essentially lasted till I pit midway, at which point I bumped the pressures up and that lasted very much into the morning, but once the sun was coming up my tyres were in the mid to high 28PSI and sliding all over.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

thanks for the feedback on dropped connections. Its definitely my router dropping out as we lose connection to any other devices at same time and the router goes into an orange flashing re-boot mode. (its a BT latest generation smarthub2 router and my pc is hard wired too it via ethernet cable) But it only seems to do it after this prolonged session of heavy use ie simracing or Netflix streaming like it runs out of capacity. My fibre is supposed to be 18mb-36mb download speed, 5-7mb upload with a stay fast guarantee of 15mb. That ought to be good enough for a 2hr sim race session? I dont know how to flash the software for it, assume they might need to do that? I'm not getting any issues for 1hr long races or shorter events. (touch wood)
    ps...what is MTU?

8. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

@fmg, bravo sir, knew you would go for that and you must have a lot more patience than me in sim-racing. :p I did try too before the event, running at ecu mode 4 and coasting as knew the stop was bloody long here. I calculated i'd have to drop to 3.08L a lap to make it full distance on a 120L tank whereas in ECU 1-3 i could burn upto 3.6L a lap! I would need to save 17-20L over the race distance. I just didnt fancy 90mins of lift and coast rather than 'racing' albeit i could have finished several places higher overall (maybe) and internet permitting :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

Look at my race fastest lap Vs the cars around me Mark ;) - That was set on the last lap when I gave it everything in an effort to hold off Micheal.
    You can remove a few tenths from it to account for the early race stint when the tires are good but that's all I had to work with (additionally I had tire temp issues when really pushing hard, so tire deg would have been well above what I had while going steady. I'd have finished around 10th had I stopped :eek:

Oddly I actually had some of my best wheel to wheel racing on Saturday even though I was a shot duck for every instance - I think it helped that the cars around me had twigged I was on a different strategy and knew I wasn't going to fight them (I was actually drafting some of them when they messed up in order to save even more fuel :D )

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bill Grewcock

Bill Grewcock Pro Driver

Yes Tim, Andrew and I guessed that you were fuel saving when you put your left indicator on and let us past. Another clue was that I was able to run laps with you: when you are going at race pace there's no way I can find myself anywhere near you (except when you lap me :)). Nevertheless it was a rare treat for me and great fun :cool:.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Simon Gymer

Simon Gymer Pro Driver

Really sorry to have missed this one. So much going on at home at the moment, I'm really struggling to make any of the events. Hopefully it will settle down soon. Really would have like the night racing too!

12. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Does your ISP have a capacity capping limit at peak times?

13. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

While BT certainly used to cap media streaming/torrenting, ACC and other gaming netcode shouldn't be anything like big enough to cause an issue after just an hour and a half.
    I wonder if their routers are modem/router rubbish like the Virgin superhub ones?
    If you can use it in modem mode then get yourself a decent standalone router Mark, that's what I'd do (I did do it to be precise - about 12 years ago and have never had these sort of issues as a result)

14. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

I'm have one if these on a cable connection and am not aware of quality issues. What are you basing this comment on Tim?

15. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

can i do that with a BT sub? Will do so if more reliable. I think its something to do with their 'Smartscan' software installed in their hubs. Been reading more into it this week. If it detects anything erroneuous it apparently reboots itself so wonder if the heavier demand of streaming/gaming makes it 'trip' after prolonged use. Either way its a fault. BT to be fair have been quite helpful this week, phoning me at home twice, monitoring the line and also have sent me a new router out to replace the '2 month old one' i had. Fingers crossed but it hasnt dropped connection since tuesday. It'll probably wait until the next big event race that i had really been looking forward too :rolleyes:
    My season is now fubared :( but still enjoy the racing/event itself so will still turn up for each race where RL permits :)

16. Bill Grewcock

Bill Grewcock Pro Driver

Hmmmm ... I have BT and have not suffered this sort of problem (yet :eek:)

17. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

Historically they were utter rubbish - couldn't share their connections very efficiently if you had most of the ports in use and caused massive lag issues, especially if you made use of both the wired switching and wireless.
    It was a well documented issue several generations ago, it may actually be fixed nowadays but I've never trusted them enough to unplug my own router and try theirs again, as having something that works flawlessly doesn't encourage me to potentially take a step backwards!