Round 5 Crystal Palace 69

Discussion in 'The DNF Series – Mclaren M23 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Feb 2, 2019.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

The circuit opened in 1927 and the first race, for motorcycles, was on 21 May 1927. The circuit was 1-mile (1.6 km) long, and ran on pre-existing paths through the park, including an infield loop past the lake. The surface had tarmac-covered bends, but the straights only had hard-packed gravel.

Improvements begun in December 1936 increased the circuit to 2 miles (3 km), and tarmac covered the entire length. 20 cars entered the first London Grand Prix on 17 July 1937, a race eventually won by Prince Bira in his ERA R2B Romulus at an average speed of 56.5 mph (90.9 km/h). Later that year, during the International Imperial Trophy meeting also won by Bira, the BBC broadcast the first ever televised motor racing.

With the outbreak of World War II, the park was taken over by the Ministry of Defence, and it would not be until 1953 that race meetings could take place again. The circuit had been reduced in length to 1.39 miles (2.2 km), bypassing the loop past the lake, and pressure from the local residents led to an injunction which reduced motor sport events in the park to only five days per year. A variety of races took place, including sports cars, Formula Three, the London Trophy for Formula Two, and non-championship Formula One races.

Average speeds continued to rise over the years, with the first 100 mph (161 km/h) lap average set in 1970 by that year's Formula One world champion, Jochen Rindt. Also in 1970, the injunction limiting race days expired and racing was increased to 14 days a year. However, driver safety was coming into focus in the early seventies and it became clear that racing around a park at 100 mph (161 km/h) was not safe. Expensive improvements were undertaken, but it was not enough to save the circuit. The last International meeting was in May 1972, the final lap record going to Mike Hailwood at an average speed of 103.39 mph (166.39 km/h).

The final meeting was held on 23 September 1972, but club events still continued until the circuit's final closure in 1974.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  2. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

Good luck on surviving this race. It's so short and tight xD

3. Matheus Marçal

Matheus Marçal Pro Driver Broadcaster Media Group

Too bad that we're not running the pre-war version, that would be cool!
    Really looking forward to broadcasting this one, its going to be an absolute hell

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. John vd Geest

It's going to be battle, battle and battle all around for 60 minutes LOL! I can't wait!
    Because it's a short track, cars will really be close to each other for 60 minutes. And the layout is very exciting!

• Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  5. John vd Geest

Matheus will use this broadcast screen for this round LOL!!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Martyn McClune

Martyn McClune Pro Driver

Hi
    Im away in Greece on holiday on the 12th so will miss this round . Back for final round tho :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Have a nice time Martyn.

8. Norman Bruce

Norman Bruce Pro Driver

:D I'm away on holiday for this round also, but will be back for the final round.

9. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Have a nice holiday Norman.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

Hello guys. I've been trying to unregistered but it's not letting me for the past hour. I won't be able to make this race as I'm committed to mother's day. Mother and sisters are ready to pounce on me. o_O. They're giving me the old stink eye.

Have a great time guys.

11. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

Have to pull out guys & gals ,got some kind of food poisoning or something :confused::( ..have a great race ..

12. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

All the drivers are there, start the race. If commentary isn't ready, so be it.

Didn't have time to race due to running qualifying twice.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver Donator

Q
    I did 45.0 with 70liters but managed only 3 tenths faster with light car...

R
    Had good start and little breathing space to @Michał Mazurek, saw him having little scrap on my mirrors, so I think that settled the win. If he would have been close, would been different story as he was reeling me in often during the race.

It wasnt easy tho. I picked little longer 3rd gear to play it safe on T1 exit but it made me turn in too fast into T1 and Last corner and that heated up
    my left front. Most of the race lost 3 tenths in T1 because of that.

Had luxury to take traffic easy so no issues there either. Lap markers where polite aswell.

GG not sure about last race tho, im scheduled for work atm. I try to change it.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

Here's the stream link:

Just about managed to get it started in time as we had a lot of technical options, but as Andrew said above it's better if you start on time even if the stream isn't fully ready.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver Donator

Common issue in ancient Rome.

Hmm...have you guys recruited any Junior Admins lately... id blame him/her if you did!

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Philipp Pichler

Philipp Pichler Pro Driver Donator

First of all, what a track, such a damn **** I really hate it.

It was good for me to repeat the quali, because I had not enough practice before the race. But I think we learned that restart the weekend screws up everything, therefore the stream is not important enough to do that ;)

Anyway, my race was a mess. For the first time I managed to get a clean start, but it was so close between to an incident again. I think John and someone else headed in the wrong direction. I tried to drive smooth and therefore I didn´t fight against John and Gavino. But all came to an end after I misjudged one corner and lost my front wing. P6 was possible without that silly mistake. After that I recovered in a hard fight with Gerhard an Pascal to P10 (that was a really chaotic last sector to be honest) but then one corner later i overcooked into the last turn. Sorry @Michał Mazurek I had not intetion to block you.

After that my steering was bend but I stil caught upt to Pascla, who then suddendly spun out direct in front of me. I lost my front wing again, then I chose the wrong settings for the pit stop (sorry again to teh guys I blocked in the last turn). As a result they send me out without a new front wing. Good tactic Pascal to defend you position lol (obviously thatw as not on purpose)

Really angry about meself and the circumstances I drove teh fastest last sector of all and a lap which was faster than in qual. I know nothing special with new tyres, but at least something positive for the next race. Österreichring should be way better for me that this track. Cu there.

• Like Like x 3
  17. John vd Geest

I was trying to get some value for my money by letting the stream get ready in time :D. But ... you guys are right. If we are ready to go, we should go. Otherwise it creates confusion. We life, we learn. I won't wait for it agan. Sorry for any inconvenience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Michał Mazurek

Michał Mazurek Pro Driver

I am the enemy of myself, how did I get to the finish line today? I do not know
    two spins and rear axle skidding at the exit from the last bend, which caused that I accidentally entered the pits :eek: :confused: :mad:
    A lot of problems with duplication that knocked me out of the rhythm, but eventually, despite so many adventures, I reach P2
    The best lap in the race is nice:) at least that's how much Toni managed to steal today :D

• Like Like x 3
  19. Kayo Michiels

Kayo Michiels Pro Driver

Track was good, but tricky...

Except i had screenfreezes all the time on certain parts of the track... and it's especially annoying when you're going through a corner, or coming out of a corner... it caused me to make a lot of errors and that ofcourse influenced my race performance...

Managed to finish.... but i wouldn't call it satisfying when you had to deal with technical issues...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pascal Bauer

Pascal Bauer Pro Driver

Q: In the first qualy run I got a 45 seconds time, my first one at this weekend. In the second run I decided not to participate and start from behind...
    R: ...which was not a bad decision. There was a huge incident in front of me but I got through there without any damage, following in P6. Under the pressure of the fast guys behind me, I did too many mistakes, which yielded in P13 again where I started. But then I had a turn in my lap times. I got a good rhytm and could catch up to the guys in front of me, which ended in a fight with Gerhard, Philipp and me. Unfortunately Santini got a damage and blocked some guys of us in the last corners, I had no place and pushed Gerhard into the wall. Sorry for that :(. After a fight with Philipp I gave up my place since Mazurek was lapping us, but Philipp did some mistake and I was ahead of him again. But then I spun in turn 1, where Philipp drove into me. Both of us had strong damage, we had to box. Luckily I hold my 9th place, my best result so far, but Philipp lost his 10th place. Sorry :(

Also sorry when I blocked some fast guys. At the beginning of the race I was lapped by a group of 3 guys. I think Roos and John ended up in the wall at the end of the straight, I hope that was not my fault. I just wanted not to stay in your way. :(

• Like Like x 2