Assetto Corsa Round 5 Oisterreichring - no chicane

Discussion in 'F1 Classic 1967 Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Dec 4, 2018.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

[​IMG]

Originally built in 1969 to replace the bland and bumpy Zeltweg Airfield circuit, the Österreichring track was situated in the Styrian mountains and it was a spectacular, scenic and unique circuit. The track was very fast, every corner was a fast sweeper and was taken in no lower than 3rd gear in a 5-speed gearbox and 4th in a 6-speed gearbox and the track had noticeable changes in elevation during the course of a lap, 65 metres from lowest to highest point. Like most fast circuits it was a hard circuit on engines but more difficult on tires, because of the speeds being so consistently high. Many considered the Österreichring to be dangerous, especially the Bosch Kurve, a 180-degree downhill right-hand corner with almost no run-off area which, by 1986 when turbos pushed Formula One engine power to upwards of 1,400 bhp (1,044 kW; 1,419 PS) in qualifying, saw Derek Warwick speed trapped at 344 km/h (214 mph) in his BMW powered Brabham BT55 on the run to the Bosch Kurve. There were other testing corners such as Voest-Hugel, which was a flat-out 180 mph right hander that eventually led to the 150 mph Sebring-Auspuff Kurve (this corner had many names over the years, Dr. Tiroch and Glatz Kurve were others) which was an essential corner to get right because of the long straight afterwards that led to the Bosch Kurve.

This is the layout we'll be driving - no chicane:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  2. Jukka Drugg

Jukka Drugg Pro Driver

Is it two wheels between white lines as usual? Here are many corners (4,6,7,8,10) that have huge asphalt area inside of the corner which will give huge advantage if used. I have raced championships where they were ok to use and tought it would be good if everybody are on same understanding what is ok and what is not.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

Would be good to know indeed. I tried to keep all wheels on the track during my laps.

4. Fabrizio Ferrante

Fabrizio Ferrante Pro Driver

I have not tried to join in server yet, so I'm not sure what version it is. Is it 1.0?
    About a year ago I had a race on this track but with a previous version (maybe 0.9) and you could "go and cut" in those areas of asphalt. I did then (few months ago) another race with the last version, some bulges/clews have been added in this areas, so cars jump over and so it is not convenient to go from there.

5. Jukka Drugg

Jukka Drugg Pro Driver

I kept at least 2 wheels on track. I´ll test if there are some bulges /clews tomorrow

6. John vd Geest

Normal racing rules apply here ... always (at least) 2 wheels on the official racing surface. The official racing surface is the area between the 2 white lines that designates the racetrack.
    If you see people going outside the racetrack with 4 wheels multiple times as a way to gain an advantage, there is ground for protest.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Fabrizio Ferrante

Fabrizio Ferrante Pro Driver

I did some laps and this is the "old version" with no real bulges, they are only painted.
    Unfortunately the track-reboot-site is down (probably copyright troubles :eek:), so we can't download the "new version" of the track.

But, I found in my folders this one:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/r1fsr3pej0nbpqr/oesterreichring1979.rar?dl=0
    I hope this is the correct new version.

Someone may could try it.

For me, old or new are both ok!

8. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver Donator

Maybe not ideal to start testing on raceweek.
    It is what it is and majority at SRO doit by the book. Those fences tho stop you in fullstop lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. John vd Geest

I can't race next friday. Have to go with the wife to a birthday party. Can't let her down :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Martyn McClune

Martyn McClune Pro Driver

I usually have four wheels off the track as im spinning end for end accross the grass gaining no advantage whatsoever with a trip back to the pits for repairs;). Seriously im getting around a second faster each practice but still struggling to get the right racing line while carrying enough corner speed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Toni Talvitie

Ive found a shortcut behind the bushes...with right amount of alcohol i think big surprise is in the making and ill win this one!

• Funny Funny x 5
  12. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pablo Finotti

Pablo Finotti Pro Driver

Bad news... I don't think I'll be able to get home for this race, I have commitments just 1h before the race, I was just informed.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. John vd Geest

Birthday party is cancelled. I'm back in :).

• Like Like x 2
  15. John vd Geest

Commentator Caitlin Penny is absent on facebook. I don't have a broadcast link. Sorry.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Flaviu Bozga

Flaviu Bozga Pro Driver Donator

Sorry guys, I can't do this race. I tried, but I just feeling bad. Some cold it is near, I have a headache :(

17. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

I'm getting a checksum failed error for some reason. Any idea on how to fix this?

18. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

Car have not been updated for a while, you using correct track version?

19. Toni Talvitie

connection sux. wont race. have a good one.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Bill Grewcock

Bill Grewcock Pro Driver

Do you have an old version of the track installed, Mac ? Maybe try d/loading the track again