rFactor 2 Round 5 Road America - Sun May 28, 2023

Discussion in 'IMSA 2023 Sports Car Championship Closed' started by John vd Geest, Feb 25, 2023.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Race password has been set.

2. Nick Westy

Nick Westy Pro Driver Donator

just for clarification John, does the pole sitter maintain 120km until the start line or do they gradually accelerate as they come to the line or is there a light that will go green that signals we can floor it?

3. John vd Geest

Hi Nick,
    On the formation lap, the pole sitters of both LMP2 and GTD must maintain a speed of approximately 120 km/h and may only start acceleration when crossing the start line.
    Once the pole sitter crosses the start line, the race is on and everybody may overtake. So you have to be awake.

4. Nick Westy

thanks for clarification

• Like Like x 1
  5. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Has anyone figured out what’s triggering the track cut warning on pit exit? It’s done it to me a few times. I thought at first it was crossing the pit exit lines but I could be wrong. No penalties but laps excluded. I can just see stop-goes being handed out to innocent people…..probably me. Lol.

6. John vd Geest

Yeah, I got the same thing. You have to stay on the right, even if changes over to the dotted line all the way to the end. You can't cross it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. John vd Geest

Unfortunately, the broadcast team will not be able to broadcast tonight due to real-life circumstances.

They will be back however for the final round 6 at Virginia.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. John vd Geest

Please be aware that we are gathering in the Team Speak IMSA chatroom all the way at the bottom for the drivers briefing.

9. Pasha Paterson

Pasha Paterson Pro Driver Broadcaster

That's a shame; they've been doing a stellar job so far.
    I'll be streaming my perspective, for whatever that's worth here. ;)
    Twitch.tv: zer0bandwidth

• Like Like x 2
  10. Robin Taylor

Robin Taylor Pro Driver Donator

Can't make the race, broadband has gone down :mad: have a good one guys :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Nick Westy

I tried to join but game crashing, having to download everything again so will not make race in time unfortunately. Have good race guys.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Pasha Paterson

Pasha Paterson Pro Driver Broadcaster

Welp... I haven't been that ashamed of my driving in a long, long time.
    Started with a strategy that counted on spending as little time in the pits as possible...
    ...then binned it three times.
    And the cherry on top was when I drove right up Gilles's tailpipe in the pit lane because I incorrectly thought we were ghosted. (Sorry again, Gilles.)
    Should've just kicked back and watched the rest of the Indy race. :oops:
    Here's hoping for better luck in the finale at my RL home track.

• Like Like x 3
  13. John vd Geest

Unfortunately, that's fresh in my memory after every race .... I mean ... my driving, not yours :p

With my driving in mind, I'm glad they took the oak tree out ...

Race report:
    &*%@#!^&*x6 :mad:
    That Aston Martin is a piece of ships. I was on wing 1 and I still got overtaken ... oke, by LMP2 cars, but that's beside the point ... :mad:
    That bloody car started going backwards, while I was trying to go forwards ... And those setup options are also bullships.
    How come the softes settings have the highest value !? It's like bloody backwards engineering!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Well that was a good race from me, I’m pretty happy with the result.

Not sure how easy @Taner Selvi was taking it but I was pushing as hard as I could and the gap between us was going up and down in traffic.

Qualifying went well, I managed to put some pressure on Taner. He did a great lap to beat me. I was up on my final run (only a few tenths though) but we got the call to pit and then I lost a bit of time, so escaped out back to the paddock.

A good race from me, can’t fault it. Only one mistake (on the final lap) my lap times were almost always in the low 52’s, tyres were great. Taner was just a bit quicker than me on the occasional lap and would pull a bit of a gap but I tried to apply as much pressure as possible.

Strategy worked well too and I made up about 5 seconds in the pits (2nd stop) but then caught some cars towards the end of that lap and lost most of it, but that’s the way it goes.

Well done to everyone for finishing (and turning up! Lol) I’m going catch up on the Indy 500 now…

One final note…this will be my last race in this league. I’m afraid I’m making my way to a little race in the south of France soon (you may have heard of it) and I’ll be there on the day of the finale at VIR.

Take care everyone and I’ll try and post some pictures when I come back :)

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. John vd Geest

Ooohh Le Mans! Lucky you ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

Good racing all. Congrats to Taner for the LMP win and all who finished this race.

It's a bummer to the people having issues. Including Teammate Ed with the disco. That feeling blows. Good racing with Kahel. Very clean driver, so after the second stint, felt safe making a move on the outside, knowing I wouldn't be taking out. I had fresher tires so I just took advantage the situation.

Good times. Hoping move gents come into the next race. Have fun Andrew at Le Mans. That's awesome.

Johnny

• Like Like x 2
  17. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

I know! It nearly didn’t happen as being the centenary everything just booked up sooooo fast. The camp sites are going to be like war zones come Monday. Lol.

Looking forward to seeing all the historic race cars being brought over for the 100 years (being a huge Mazda fan I’m really looking forward to seeing the 787B running laps) but the main race is going to be epic too. I hope you all get to see some of it on YouTube because a lot of the build up gets missed, especially this year with all the celebrations, parades, etc.

Thanks @Johnny Gutierrez it should be a good trip :)

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Kahel Grahf

Kahel Grahf Pro Driver

Yeah nice racing Johnny... and everyone else.
    I was testing to see if hard could last the all race... and it does.
    Just didn't use them well... they had at least 1s in them... if I didn't suck. But that's fine I'll take the improvement anyway... I'm not in a hurry after a 3years long simracing pause.

Still, as far as racing goes... I think Medium/medium would have been faster... even for me.

• Like Like x 4
  19. John vd Geest

Thanks Pasha, we got a little bit of broadcast after all. :) Good fun to watch with your input.

20. Michael LaBelle

Michael LaBelle Pro Driver

Hi John. Is the replay available?