Round 5 Spa Francorshamps 2019-11-16

Discussion in 'RSS GT1 Season 2 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Welcome Lino and same for me, brings back memories of gtr1 and 2.

2. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

• Like Like x 2
  3. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

We don't use the app "pit lane penalty" in this series so the game will only take away your laptime if you cut. However ...

It is not allowed to cut Eau Rouge to gain an advantage. A cut means going with all 4 wheels outside the curbstone on top of Eau Rouge.

If you are seen doing that multiple times with the clear intention of gaining an advantage, you will get a time penalty of 30 seconds on your end result.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  4. Giacomo Verlini

Giacomo Verlini Pro Driver

Hi guys & girls, sorry for the last minute info but I will not make it tonight at Spa

5. Pasha Paterson

Pasha Paterson Pro Driver Broadcaster

Glad to see this position changed, but sorry you had connection issues at the end. Here's to better luck next round.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pasha Paterson

Davide... I just wanted you to have this.

[​IMG]

Whether in real race cars, or imaginary ones, nobody deserves to lose the lead to mechanical failures.
    Better luck in the last two races, sir.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Joakim Stensnæs

Joakim Stensnæs Pro Driver

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Pasha Paterson

9. Pasha Paterson

Click me for a full race replay.
    If the stewards could let me know when this is offloaded to SRO's server so that I could free up the space in Google Drive, that would be lovely. :D

10. John vd Geest

11. John vd Geest

Replay is uploaded on the event page. You can take yours down.

• Like Like x 1
  12. John vd Geest

Like a dumb ass I took medium tires to start with, because I was too lazy to do a full practise stint. And sure enough, they didn't last. Just over 50 liters I had to come into the pits, after Phil Brown and Johnny Gutierrez overtook me because I was sliding all over the place on worn tires. That threw my fuel strategy out the window and I was forced to do 2 pitstops to get fuel just before the end of the race. But it was great fun anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

Not so sure about that, I did 2 stints on mediums and that was working out quite well .. apart from damage I had which caused me to understeer a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Laurent Londes

Ironically I have been working on an AC app to calculate race fuel :D It really bugs me to have to take off my headset and calculate the required fuel, so I wanted to have an app that did what I wanted to. Unfortunately, I had introduced some error yesterday which caused the app not to load.. So I did it the old fashioned way and well, got a few liters short on fuel. I took 170 liter yesterday and was out of fuel in sector 3 of the last lap.

I fixed my app this morning and this was a pretty good use case :p

As you can see I would have made it to the end .. oh well.

15. Lino Sena

Lino Sena Pro Driver

I'm sorry for the missed race, but my wheel was broken after few laps in qualify and I have to disconnect from server just before the start...:(
    Hoping to inaugurate a new wheel for the next race, I would like to say hello to you all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Giacomo Verlini

Giacomo Verlini Pro Driver

THX mate but I virtually entered the race without a setup and the Lambo is already a tough lady.
    I should have ask some of you guys the courtesy of sharing a decent setup but i don't know if there is anyone here willing to do so.
    The issues with the connection made it worst but I don't understand the reason behind.
    I have fiber connection with 250 Mbps U/D and when I checked everything was good on my side.
    It's either server side or my CM is somehow messed with the SOL or shader patch.
    Right now i don't feel i can compete in this league :(

17. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

Unpopular opinion, I DO NOT like Spa :(

Bit of a mixed bag for the race. I was quick and made some good passes, but also made so silly errors.
    Crashed in the two fastest corners, but somehow managed to avoid hitting any armco :D

Thank you to:-
    Johnny for not crunching into my car when it was like a spinning top early in the race
    Rob for allowing us to recreate that Webber/Alonso pass on entry to Eau Rouge (probably the scariest pass I've made and was waiting for a huge crash :eek: )

Apologies to Laurent for the tap into T1 - fortunately it was me that came off worse :)

Had some fun laps with both Rob and Nuno.

Unlucky to Davide for having connection issues after being so strong. (and thanks for persuading me to use the Low Downforce setup rather than the High DF I wanted to use :p)

A review of some of my passes and crashes

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Couldnt go faster. Lost a mile on long straights so just kept it safe and finished with a solid drive nevertheless.
    P1 and P2 battling it out in front of me and wanted to just stay out of it. Also when was overtaken 2 times, just lifted or break early.
    P2 maximum result of a damage control. Didnt have the speed to compete on straights.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Joakim Stensnæs

Joakim Stensnæs Pro Driver

That was an interessting race, in some very challenging cars. First race I've done in these and I defenitely enjoyed the challenge.

I didn't manage to run any practice for qually, and it's new to me that you have to return to the pitlane, so wasted a bit too much time.
    I managed to get out for one last run, but unfortunally I stuffed it at the end of the straight, so P2 for me after qually.

Wasn't really sure how my pace was to the rest of the field, and specifically Davide who took pole, so right from the start I tried to figure out if I had an advantage anyware.
    Seemed like I had a decent pace advantage on Davide, but some hard defending and some sketchy cars made it really really difficult to move forward.
    Over the race it seemed like Devide ran a tiny bit less wing than I did, and had a enough of a top speed advantage that I never really could get a run.
    And even if he had a bad exit, it still seemed like he had better traction from the slow speed stuff.

We did squabble a bit, and had a bit of contact from time to time, when I don't think Davide realised where I was on track, but that's racing.
    At one point he made a mistake out of poun and I tried to take the outside into the esses, a combination of me going across him, and him running a wider line than he probably should've, ment we made contact that resulted in a spin for me.

At this point I know I just had to wait for my second stint to do it.
    I knew from practice that I wasn't able to run a 100 liter stint with medium tyres, so my first stint was on hards, and doing a bit of fuel saving I managed to stretch the 1st stint to 22 laps. I went into the pits and took mediums, also I refilled 85 liters, wich proved to be a laps worth of fuel too much, but I'm surprised I seemed to need much more fuel than others, as I came out of the pits 5 seconds further back frome Davide, compared to when he pitted.

I was on mediums however and I had so much pace, especially at the start of the stint. Set my quickest race time with a 2.17.0, so within long I was on the tail again of Davide. Really trying my best to show my nose and push him into a mistake, which he eventually made, but because of my positioning, I payed the price.
    He had sudden oversteer going onto the backstraight, beacuse of getting on the inside curb, and I had nowhere to go but off track... I went across the gravel and ran over a huge bump, which just unstettled the car and spun me around. https://gyazo.com/914277d6ab1cac9ac6ca0d48dd1480ba

Unfortunate, but I still had time in the race to catch him back up. - I went back to 3rd place and worked my way up again, until unfortunally Davide disconnected.

A hard race, where I had the pace advantage, but clearly it's not enough to have pace, you also have to get track position. A good, hard, race but with an anti-climatic end.
    Nothing else to say than Davide and I have unfinished business :eek:;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Laurent Londes

Well, seems nobody is interested in a fuel calculation app from a guy who failed to finish the race on fuel, can't blame you :p

I didn't spend enough time preparing for the race and my setup wasn't great. I see on the fastest stracker laps that I lose 7 tenths in the first sector alone and it showed during the first laps of the race where I was overtaken on speed by 3 cars. My first gear was also not long enough for the last chicane where I had to slow down way too much because of it. I got a bit frustrated after losing those places on the first few laps and spun it on the kerb, hit the barrier and had front aero damage. When Andrew hit my back in T1 later on I had rear aero damage as well. That left me with a car that was difficult to turn in and also on high speed corners. I thought about repairing the damage during my pit stop but I had no idea how much time that would have cost me so I didn't. I could have kept on for P5 but lost it in the chicane (again the first gear) going in too fast and locking the rears which allowed Andrew past in the final laps. I wasn't paying attention to my fuel I have to say and came a few liters short. It was a race to forget for me.

The battle between Joakim and Davide was fun to watch, congrats to both !

As for Pasha, extremely entertaining stream ! I loved the ranking overview with car previews and comments on all drivers at the start as well. It shows you have such a good time making those, just great stuff ! Only thing on my end is that the in-game audio was off compared to the visuals, especially noticeable during the onboard views.

I will try to prepare better for the next one.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2