Round 5 Watkins Glen Chicane

Discussion in 'Group C Honey Jar Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

Good racing guys. Contact side to side racing for me otherwise great start. It happens. (Walks away head slumped over shoulders). :eek:

2. Jeroen Remmers

Jeroen Remmers Pro Driver

Well, I forgot to put race fuel. So after 5 laps had to stop and fuel 100L. Forgot to change the mediums.... back in the pits again, new set of mediums, also big in the red on the end of the race. Looking forward to next race, hope can atleast get the podium then!

3. Philipp Pichler

Philipp Pichler Pro Driver

Tried a race without a stop but did not worked out, so I had to pit with 5 minutes to go. I put too much fuel in therefore I had a longer stop than needed. Brought me back to P7 with a charging Karl form behind. He passed me but somehow I gained two spots in the last corner of the race. Denis pitted (no idea why) and Karl lost momentum which was my opportunity.

P6 is ok because it was my starting position and it could have been worse. But I wonder how Toni did make the race without a stop. Seems he is the best fuel saver here ;)

Oh and sorry Larry if my move on you was too optimistic. It was right after you and Tony got together and I saw the chance.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

no stream?

5. Pablo Finotti

Pablo Finotti Pro Driver

I was looking for the stream too...

6. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Got jumped by Pablo's Merc at start and it made things very difficult.
    I soon found its going to be impossible to pass even i had reserves to go faster.
    So it made Johnny trying to pass me constantly thus giving all of us stressfull laps at start. Pressure was in front and behind.
    I had to go plan B which was save tyres mode.
    Driving behind Pablo was working to my advantage since could just cruise behind and save my tyres.
    If i had gone faster, i would have pitted for tyres and who knows what would have happened to my race then.

Shame that stream isnt there since im sure we looked darn good taking our cars around the track.

Good race all!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

Good Racing Guys.

If i can please make a point.

This rolling start, The guy directly in front of you(visually) is actually 2 places ahead, the guy diagonally to the left or right is the guy directly in front of you(race position.)
    You need to hold position until on the main straight and crossing the start line for lap2 !!!!
    I had a merc (Watson i think) jump 2 or 3 places coming out of the last corner.................. not good sportsmanship!!!

Otherwise great racing, made some mistakes myself and fumbled my gears on the last corner of the last lap. (clutch and H-Pattern G25!)
    but really enjoyed the clean close racing.

8. Denis Eshchenko

Denis Eshchenko Pro Driver

Thanks for the race!

9. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

Lonely race .. hit commit button -get in car -wheel is jacked -straiten wheel - push in clutch - put car in gear -car jumps 1.5 inches = drive threw ..
    So first lap I took the drive threw I came out 28 seconds behind last place .. got to see some drivers that pitted ! and actually passed a car at some point :D..other wise never saw another car for 50 of the 60 min haha .. Grats Toni ! well done ..& Grats to the podium ! see you next time !

• Like Like x 1
  10. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

The polesitter did not handle the start-procedure right. He should have gone right after the last corner and not wait until the crossing the start/finish line.
    It's clearly stated in the first post of the general info thread;
    https://www.simracingonline.co.uk/threads/group-c-general-info.2549/

How does each race start?
    Each race starts with a formation lap (Rolling start). The pole sitter maintains a speed of +/- 120 km/h.
    The formationlap is done in single file (all behind eachother).
    The race starts at the end of the formation lap, entering the last corner.
    You are not allowed to pass cars before fully exiting that last corner.

• Like Like x 1
  11. John vd Geest

The broadcaster Joseph Wright did not show up. I have not recieved an explanation from him yet. We'll have to wait and see what's going on here ...

12. John vd Geest

No-shows;

The following drivers have been removed from the series as no-shows;

Barrett Erickson
    Robert Waddell (second time and now permanently)

13. Davide Ricciardi

Davide Ricciardi Pro Driver

Congrats all, well done Toni and Pablo. I had a very bad qualify session, couldn't manage soft tires. I tried then to save fuel during the race and skip the pit stop to grab 2nd position, but fuel wasn't enough for about a litre so I had to pit eventually. Great fun !!

14. John vd Geest

In the last few rounds I was just relaxing to the finishline with a 20 sec. gap to the guy in front of me. When all of a sudden Jeroen Remmers was on my tail and passed me for fourth place. I had not looked behind me at all. Did not even have time to defent LOL. I was completely sleeping.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

yeah, thats a very hard thing for the pole sitter to control.
    most of us were trying to not crash into each other on the last corner.

in all honesty in the real world, last corner it start line is "speed up zone" no over take allowed until the start line.
    that piece is nerve wrecking when you further back in the grid (i know you dont know what that is.... hehehe)
    otherwise speed up zone needs to be 3rd or 2nd last corner.
    your incident in round 1 was proof of that.

16. John vd Geest

I've been doing starts from the last corner for years now. As long as the polesitter knows he has to go at the last corner, it's not a problem.
    Look at how I did it when I was on pole. Slow down 2 corners in advance progressively so no one is surprised and then accelarate when you're there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Philipp Pichler

Philipp Pichler Pro Driver

I agree with John, in other series or "Kens" series this worked with no problem. (Also the thing with passing onto the formation lap never occured before)
    But ok, hopefully now everybody is informed ;)

After we have no stream and my replay data only covered the last few corners of the race, I want to share that with you. Not that kind of spectacular, but still a pass down to the finish line.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

yeah, thats the thing.
    you do it right, you good at it.
    first time im on pole im going to forget everything as im stresseing about the start.

dont get me wrong, im not saying you wrong, but its not as easy to the rest of us.
    we do the same on simraceSA and starts are still dodgy when someone new is doing pace lap.

:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

not the same, im talking of slow lap to race pace.
    i was coasting to not crash into the guys in front of me when some oke spears past 3 cars.

racing laps is a different thing, and yes, ive seen it happen a few times, hence me saying

20. John vd Geest

I think I'm in trouble now that I have choosen the Mazda. I couldn't get the car working with 90 kilo's extra weight. That's like driving with 2 full tanks of fuel 200 liters. Will have to go deep now to even get in the top 4. But I'm sticking with it. We'll see how it goes on the Oisterreichring. Will be an adventure :D. One of the Mercedes Saubers is 100% sure to win with their boost setting.

• Like Like x 1