Round 5 Watkins Glen Chicane

Discussion in 'Group C Honey Jar Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Well done to the winners and it was good to see so many finishers this time.

I'm trying my best but ever since I've owned AC I've never been quick on it.

Something about it just doesn't gell with me, the cars just feel horrible all the time and I can never have any real fun driving them which is a shame.

Especially as I keep spending so much money on DLC's and mods in the hope I'll find something I like, lol.

Anyway, I'm afraid I can't make the next round as I'm at Silverstone but I'll finish the season the best I can.

Cheers, Andrew :)

2. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Set your steering rotation in game to 540 degrees. That seems to help according to Rob Milliken.
    Don't forget to un register for that event.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Hey, yes i did try those recommendations, car still understeers like a pig, oversteers on the way out, no grip, no turn in, can't get the car stopped, just very annoying. Hey ho, keep on trying :)

Not complaining BTW just getting it out of my system, haha :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

You going to the WEC Andrew.

5. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Yes my friend, my yearly fix of sportscar racing :)

ELMS on Saturday (which goes from strength to strength in my view) and WEC on the Sunday.

Will be interesting to see how busy it will be with Alonso, Button and the date change. Which means warm weather rather than cold April! lol

6. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Will send you a pm.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

but..
    if anyone can turn that car around, its you.
    on testing i found that car to need a different approach to driving.
    was very difficult, actually found the merc easier to drive.
    good luck sir, you can do this!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

i understand fully, im having to re learn AC driving style,
    im instantly quicker in PCars and AMS, but AC i have to practice before the race so i know what to expect.

Hope to see you back soon

• Like Like x 1
  9. John vd Geest

After being in contact with Broadcaster Joseph Wright, it seems that he had forgotten about the Watkins Glen event.
    He tells me he's very sorry it happend and he will be there for the last three rounds.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Thanks mate.

Yeah it's an odd one, there are some excellent mods for AC. Without trying to get off topic, I recently treated myself to the GT1 cars by Race Sim Studio.

They are beautiful, great modelling as usual by that team. However like above I'm finding the cars a complete nightmare, they just will not turn into the corners, and I can't get slowed down enough to get the damn thing to turn in properly, lol. There's this floaty handling feeling all the time.

I watch some YouTube videos of people driving the cars to get style hints, but if I try the steering/pedal inputs they try the car just ploughs onwards in a straight line.

I know it's me and I just need to adjust (and I've probably picked up some bad sim-driving habits as well) but when you feel like a quick "fun" race I don't always want to spend hours practicing beforehand. Leagues are different of course.

Even RF2 is more fun for me (and arguably that's more difficult to master depending on the car) so it's an odd one I will admit.

However (and I know John was carrying a lot of ballast) I see my 787B fastest lap wasn't far off his so at least that's something.

But for sure you'll see me for the last two rounds, I'm stubborn and I never give up! lol

Might be marginal for the 15th September (it's my birthday and I may be out that evening) but we'll see :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jeroen Remmers

Jeroen Remmers Pro Driver

Hehe, Andrew, The rss gt1 are my favorite cars in AC. Especially now with the recent update, everything about them is amazing. Although, not easy! I race them in a league too and I have to practice more with them then the Group C (which are pretty tame surprisingly, the porsche atleast). The RSS gt1 default setups are very "safe" and understeery, Also the diff accel is way to high on the default. Loowering wings to front 1 / rear 7/8 and lowering diff accel to about 10-20 will help greatly on them, for a start.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. John vd Geest

My next project :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Larry Thomas

Larry Thomas Pro Driver Donator

Good on you Andrew. Good to hear.
    I know how you feel as I am often in the same situation. Surprisingly I am doing better than expected in this series. But then again I am driving the easiest car.

14. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Thanks for that Jeroen. Yeah sorry, just venting my frustration, haha.

I work Mon-Fri 9am till 5.30pm and then my second job is 6pm till midnight four nights week so as much as I would love to spend more time practicing it's not really possible.

It's obviously much easier for me to "jump in" to a car and have a fun race than spend time fine tuning setups but that's a great help, much appreciated :)

Shame I don't get more time to drive them more as they sound magnificent! :)

15. John vd Geest

• Like Like x 1