rFactor 2 Round 5 Zandvoort 1967 - Sat Apr 6, 2024

Discussion in 'F1 1939 Championship Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jan 6, 2024.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

To orientate yourselves, you must look at your Local Race Time.
    This is mine.

upload_2024-4-6_22-18-6.png

2. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

Pretty crazy combo tonight and the tyres were totally worn by the end so I took it fairly easy for most of the race. Saw that John and Neil were pretty close together behind and that was an interesting gap to watch. Congrats to John and Matias for finishing on the podium.

Does anyone have the race replay?

3. John vd Geest

Race report:

Had an initially good start, but the rear started snapping with wheelspin as I got greedy :).
    Stayed ahead of Neil on the first lap, but at the end of lap 1 Neil got alongside on the main straight with a very good slipstream.
    The next lap Neil went off in the last corner and gave himself a lot to do to catch me again. I gues he was working his ass of, because he was getting closer and closer to me closing a gap of 8 seconds. I was watching it and decided to keep driving safe and within the limits of the tires. Although I did have a few scary moments.
    Neil was doing a great job catching me and I could hold him on a gap of 1 second or so. Until he suddenly disappeared from my mirrors and dropped back.

That was a great burn from the stern, Neil. Impressive run and it should have gotten a better faith at the end.

Grats to Maddie for the win.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver Donator

I went to bed early

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Neil Wood

Neil Wood Pro Driver Donator

Stream VOD

I thought my Hockenheim race was bad? Well.... I just held my own theorectical beer and said "WATCH THIS!"

Started 3rd.... I had the chance to get 2nd but just couldn't get that 0.005 in the dying minutes of qually!!

On the clean side of the grid and as usual feeling like I was butted up against the car in front. Got a good start but not better than @Maddie Shepherd and alongside @John vd Geest.
    Side by side into the first turn the usual trick about staying wide around the banking didn't seem to give the same momentum as other cars. I followed John in the early laps and managed to get a run on the straight and pass around the outside. Stayed high on the banking of T1, got a slight touch on corner entry which gave me a fright but it was all good.

I then set about pulling away and I did so, John was out of draft and falling back. But of course I had to make things hard for myself and went off at the final turn and left John and @Nick Westy through as I recovered with slightly bent suspension. Seemed that Nick was not heeding his engineer screaming about him for engine temps as his engine was already puffing smoke. Later on he got it all crossed up come out of a turn and I was back up to 3rd and set about chasing John.

The gap was coming down slowly but surely and the concentration was real. My tyres temps were in the yellow which I had never seen in all the races we have done in this car, but I soldiered on. I was within about 1 second and I could almost taste that 2nd place!! I pushed and pushed.... then finally it all went wrong.

I was a little annoyed.

All that effort and now with 3 wheels I limped back to the pits in the hope that the pit crew could do something. I sat there watching my competitors go through one after the other. I could see the engine temps rising as I sat there. Because there is no starter on these cars I couldn't switch off the ignition because i'd never get it started again! After 300 seconds of repairs the pitcrew had worked their magic and put the wheel back on. I limped around for a lap making sure to pop my already overheating and smoking engine and then finished.

*sigh*

Kicking myself over these past few races. I have overdriven and just not got a handle on these cars to take them fast around these tracks. Will I suffer the same fate on the Monza banking? I really hope not!!

A little disappointed of the turn out. I hope this series doesn't go out with a wimper with only the minimum amount turning up. We were expecting 10 people from the sign up list....

Congrats to everyone that stayed alive on the podium. A final note to what I saw in the game chat from @Matias Estrela. You did deserve that 3rd place... because you survived better than I could and earned it :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. John vd Geest

• Like Like x 1
  7. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

Watched @Neil Wood stream yesterday. I did slow up before the line but couldn't see exactly where the line was so I crossed it with about a second to go, which gave us another lap.

• Funny Funny x 1