rFactor 2 Round 6 Daytona Road Course

Discussion in 'Studio 397 LMP2 & GT3 Endurance Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, May 3, 2019.

1. Didier Coelo

Didier Coelo Pro Driver

a very bad idea to change only the front tires :( sorry Michael

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

Final race at Daytona Road Course

Qualy at Q5, Toni in top as always :)

Had some early battle with Roberto and Denis, but as soon I got by they where faster in the draft. After a while Roberto and Denis got a bit of gap. Later on there must been a contact with Tom (at 2nd) and Denis so I passed both and back on 3rd pos.

Denis got close and I decided to let him pass easy and just follow him and try to overtake in the pitstop, in his draft it was easy to stay close. Before the pitstop Roberto spun at T1 and we got into 1st/2nd as Toni had made a early stop.

Think both Toni, Denis and Tom changed tyres so I got out in the lead with a gap to 2nd Toni. Well, with something like 25-30 minutes to go he closed that gap rather fast, tried defend into T1 and we went side by side all the way into T2, at T3 entry I gave up the position.

With around 7 minutes to go Denis was at my bumper, tried to defend at a new position but missed the brake point and spun in the grass. Lost 8 seconds but was still 3rd.

Kept the position but after the race I noted my position was 2nd as Denis got a penalty in the end for track cut.

Great races this round with @Roberto Balli, @Denis Pimenov and @Toni Talvitie :)

Congrats to Roberto for winning the GT3 class, to bad the server was not setup correct for one race so several driver could not join, then it might have been closer at the podium.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Taner Selvi

Taner Selvi Pro Driver

Another race to be forgetten. The car had a fast setup and producing good pace progressing race. But I think when it got lighter lap by lap, it started to loose its back. I saved it couple of times but once, hitted the wall after the chicane, that is it.
    Thanks for the organisation and congratulations to the champs of their classes.

4. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Pro Driver

Flat out ugly!
    Was going quite well, running P2, just sitting behind Radek, not forcing anything and resisting the urge to overtake in the draft. Was hoping we could pull a bit of gap on the other LMP2 cars, and we were somewhat doing that until we encountered GTE traffic. They were not an issue, just wrong place wrong time for a traffic jam, so we lost the time we'd gained. I guess it was 10 laps in or so.
    Approaching T1, a GTE car was just getting to apex, so of course we come screaming up on it's rear. Radek hesitated when the GTE exited the corner and I decided it was as good a time as any to try to overtake and see if I couldn't pull a gap on him. It worked, even though I had to sort of take to the grass to go around the GTE car and Radek at the same time. Had two wheels on track, but it was a hairy moment dropping wheels track right in that windy bit after T1 :eek:

After that overtake, I'm floating. I generally don't force issues like that, nor take risks that early in a long race, but sometimes just got to go for it.
    So, I'm floating along, starting to focus in on nailing my lines...Radek is still right there, P3-maybe 5 or so is not far behind us.
    We approach T1 again, all going well, when suddenly a rouge P2 comes blaring through the corner and T bones me :confused: Wow, good driving, not only missed your braking point at T1, but completely and utterly overshot the thing. No idea who it was, but that was some really poor driving.

Spun around...some damage. Engine nearly stalled but I managed to get going again. Now I'm in P3 and Dmitri is taking off...I cannot afford to be behind a slower paced car.
    Pretty sure Lukas (who had captured P2 during said incident) was going to graciously let me by at the bus stop, but I botched that and completely missed the chicane. Had to slow, then realized I still hadn't let Lukas by (overtook him while cutting the chicane) so I slowed some more. He went by, and rightfully realized he could hold me behind him, and thus he began to hold his position and race for it. A bit of struggle, and a sloppy as all hell overtake at bus stop, but it worked (sorry, Lukas, nearly ran you out of the road there..thanks for giving room...missed my braking point a bit and was semi out of control)
    Not even a lap later, a moment with a GTE car put me back in P3 :rolleyes: (Apologies Darrel, not sure who's fault that was and have not seen replay. Could have swore you were signaling me by at the international horseshoe corner, so I took to inside and in that exact moment you did to...too late for crying. Apologies if I read that wrong)

Got going again, but damage this time was really affecting the car.
    Behind Lukas again, and at bus stop again....following too close, missed the brake markers...panic braked to keep from running over car ahead. Slid through the chicane, spun, nearly stopped...but, got a drive thru for cutting anyways. UGH! Ok, let's get this taken care of, long race, go recover a bit.

WRONG! Served first drive thru, nothing happens. So I serve it again, nothing. Third time was the charm, served and nothing...penalty not going away, about to get DQ'd....F it, I've had enough. Off I went to forget it even happened.

Promising enough start, decent pace, and was hoping for a good fight or 3. All not to be this time around. Such is racing.

Grats to the winners in both classes.

Side note: GTE cars....some of you need to remember this at Daytona; "Low is slow" on the oval. Exiting the corner from infield or from bus stop, while a P2 is sitting on your rear, then going to the high side of the track while being a slower class car is a big no at Daytona. "Low is [always] slow" on the oval sector.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  5. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

It's crazy when I think about it @Jason Whited

Most of us were was worried that Bathurst was going to be a crashfest and yet I think we had three times as many incidents and crashes around here, which was genuinely a surprise!

Thankfully I only had one incident with a lapped car, otherwise I was quite lucky and caught pretty much everyone on the banking; but I was carrying so much damage from earlier I just couldn't run the lap times I wanted to which was shame. Not saying I could have beaten you both but it would have been fun trying :)

6. Michael LaBelle

Michael LaBelle Pro Driver

A good race for me despite quitting 2 laps before the finish. I missed a few brake points but managed to miss all the hard places. I had a few incidents with a few cars on their way to a wreak. Off track adventures could not be helped. Had a good deal of damage at the end and it seemed I had accumulated enough demerit points for a drive-through. It didn’t work and suggested I had 2 more laps to pay my respects to the stewards. I guessed there was 2 laps left and I was heading for last place of the runner anyway so I parked it.

Thanks all, I just have to stop being in the wrong place at the wrong time.;)

Cheers till the next endurance series.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Good series, poor performance over all by me but some fun moments to be remembered.

All kinds of races and Roberto won.
    Gz, steady performance!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Roberto Balli

Roberto Balli Pro Driver Donator

Tony, you are faster than me so I "have " to be steady to have some chance to beat you :)
    Congrats on your win at Daytona !
    Well done at Jens too, great race and championship.

I was having a good race at Daytona - near Jens and Denis - until lap 26 when I spun at T1 :oops:
    Anyway well done all , GT3 & LMP2 ( congrats to Andrew on the championship win)

See you next race !

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

Well, as a non oval and GT3 driver I did not notice any big difference going low or high. Was even more convenient just let the car go high at exit and let the LMP pass low, but the more you know :)

And I take the opportunity to pass a side note to some LMP drivers for the next mulit-class event, to dive into apex and overtake when the GT3 already have committed to the turn is a big no at all tracks. If not clearly side by side or ahead at the GT3:s brake point then there will be contact as then there is little one can do than turn in or let the car out on the grass.

It should always be a collaboration here but the LMP driver have the higher responsibility for a clean pass.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Pro Driver

I'm not actually sure it's a rule when oval racing, I'd have to look. Multiclass oval races are not really a thing, as far as I'm aware.
    Real world side, however, it is a rule that slower classed cars stay low on the oval when being overtaken by faster classes (besides exceptional cases, of course) when racing the road course.

Regarding LMPs dive bombing...I don't think [most] ever intend to do that...perhaps a few don't care and imagine GTs should just get out of the way, but most don't.
    Most times it's the result of miscommunication, similar to the situation I encountered with a car I tangled with in this one (which is generally not something I have issue with)
    Probably go back and look at it and I'd be wondering what in the world was I thinking...but in the moment, I could still swear that car was signaling me by. And, truth is, he probably didn't even know I was there yet and I read it wrong, but dive bombing him for the sake of just going on by because it's a "pesky GT car" was not the intention.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Congratulations to:

Andrew Harper for winning the LMP2 championship!
    Roberto Balli for winning the GT3 championship!

Well done guys!

Thanks to everyone who supported this series!

12. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

13. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Thanks matey, tried to be as consistent as I could for all the races. That last race though was tough, glad I made it to the end of that one. :)

Missed a few opportunities but managed to get at least one win which was brilliant.

Well done to Roberto for the GT3 title and thanks to SRO for the organisation of the league as usual.

I've got some livery requests I need to deal with now, I may try the Formula Renault 3.5 races (awesome car) but not sure about spare time just yet.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Eric Cline

Eric Cline Pro Driver

What is the next sundays series and when will it start?

16. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

17. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Have you never noticed these links at the top of this page and tried clicking on them Eric? :)

Races-Calendar Links.jpg

18. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

what do they do?

19. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Click on them and you'll find out. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

im scared to
    will you click it with me please?