Round 7 Kyalami 1967

Discussion in 'Group C Honey Jar Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, May 5, 2018.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Delete the Kyalami track you have now, and download this version under "cars and track"
    https://www.simracingonline.co.uk/racing/eventinfo/557

I think I know what the problem is ... did you buy the Porsche pack 2? You need to have it. Download is also under the Cars and track.

Also make sure you downloaded the skinpack. Read post 1 from this thread;
    https://www.simracingonline.co.uk/threads/select-your-car-here.2547/

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

Password isn't letting me getting on server. Oh well. Worth a try. Have fun guys!

3. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Oh well, that was quite good fun.

The cars are fun around this high speed circuit.

I was lapping ok but got stuck in the track mesh so had to retire.

Well done for those that finished :)

4. Angelo dos Santos

Angelo dos Santos Pro Driver

I hope this isnt becoming a trend....
    But some very poor driving and imature behaviour if you consider how difficult is to drive those cars.

My race was ruined when I was in legitimate defense of position, hit from behind on lap 2.
    Sustained huge damage, but I wanted to finish. Went to the pits and got back, but with the wrong tires (didnt planed a pit stop). Stopped again the next lap, now the right tires on.

Did my race, but was involved again in a very poor accident. Was inside under braking for T1 in a 3wide situation, when the driver in the middle turn into me completely on the braking zone...o_O. Accident was so bizarre that he went to the other side and hit another driver, all of this before we actually turn into T1. Man.....how....

In the end, still saved a Top10, by pure survival instinct.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

I think my friend this is the issue. These cars are tough. I’m just about talented enough to hang on and finish races but I’ve quickly learnt that you can’t be aggressive with these cars. They simply don’t like it. A couple of times when I downchanged I locked up the rear and went into turn one sideways. Maybe that was what happened in your three wide battle.

Anyway sorry you had a tough race. Thanks for taking part and finishing at least :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Good race for me.

1st of all apologies to Denis, my fault.

1st half of race was horrible. cars around were mostly very slow but on straights too fast so was in trouble, allmost 2 secs of the pace.
    On the otherside of it, think my tyres would not lasted whole race with the pace i had in that Mazda, so it all worked out nicely.
    Last 10 minutes lifted up and rolled to flag, rear left was lowish so wanted to make sure.

@Larry Thomas Great racing, shame it ended in your spin but other than that, it made up my day. Wish them all drive like you. Respect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

If you are using 'flappy paddles' to change gears with auto clutch, remember to give the throttle a blip (give the throttle pedal a stamp :D ) on each downshift. Will increase the engine revs and save the rears locking.

Thanks for the race all. Congrats to podium and finishers.
    See you in the final round. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. John vd Geest

True, that's what I do on downshifts. Learned that when I was still doing iRacing.

Grats on your racewin. Was a really an outstanding drive from you.

9. Johnny Gutierrez

Same here Andrew. Fun start but ended with getting stuck. Not glad I became stuck but if it was real life racing, hitting it that hard would have taken me out the race anyway so no harm there.

Sadly, I might not be able to make the last race. I just started getting the hang of these cars. Lol

10. Pablo Finotti

Pablo Finotti Pro Driver

This race was a disaster, just that.
    Q: Ok, did a bit better offline, but starting 2 or 3 positions ahead would't have made any difference.

R: Terrible from the start, was rammed twice in lap one, severely damaging my rear wing, what impacted strongly on my race pace. Offline and during the last online practice I was able to do 11.7 - 12.3 on a regular basis, reaching 349-352 at the end of the straight (Yes, I boost every lap at the main straight), but after that, I was 1-1.2 secs slower every lap, and that f$%$# my race plan, as the rear end was completely loose, which impacted hugely on the RL tyre wear, that was already on the edge without damage.
    As the the race progressed, the car was getting worse and worse, the wear on the rear tyres was making the car undrivable, that's when I tried to make it up the instabilities on boost. I was boosting all the way to T4, the lap times got a bit better, but still hopelessly slow.
    After the pit, I could do some almost decent laps, but couldn't close the gap to John and Denis, so I settled into P5, just trying to keep on track and remain on the championship leadership, but everything has changed in a corner. I checked the replay over 10 times, I don't think my fault, that is not an overtaking point. That was the exact same line I did the entire race. My lines are always different, as my driving style. There was no need for that, because my engine was at the limit, I had to stop boosting, if I continued to boost, there was a chance it would have given up.
    Got stuck ate the fence... tried to keep going, but there was a 3 min penalty, I waited for it and completed the final lap (crashed pathetically, btw).

Anyway, congrats to Andrew for the win and to John for sealing the championship.

PS: I think I won't race at Okayama, as I don't have any chance to finish ahead of John and Toni with this car. Because of my backaches, I had to make a choice between Okayama and Le Mans, the following day. I think can't race in a competitive pace two straight days. This result just made the decision easier.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

I am Sorry Angelo
    That is my fault, I totally misjudged you there, i didnt expect you to slow into the turn, only when i saw the replay did i get to see exhaust flames,
    Please accept my appologies, it was not intentional.
    :(

• Like Like x 1
  12. Angelo dos Santos

Angelo dos Santos Pro Driver

Its fine Karl. Apologies accepted.

• Like Like x 1
  13. John vd Geest

The championship itself doesn't hold any value to me. Fighting for it on track does. That's why I changed to the weaker Mazda. Well, I could still be strong in the Mazda, but without the 90 kilo's weightballast :p.
    Shame you're not doing Okayama. That would have turned that last round into a thriller between us. But ... glad you were there all the other rounds as my teammate. You're a very strong driver! We absolutely crushed it on the teamchampionship!

Speaking of strong drivers ... how the hell is Toni Talvitie a second per lap faster then me in the same Mazda with 70 kilo's weightballast :D!!?? That car must be totally to his liking.
    I can't do shit in it with all that extra weight. Respect dude !!

Race:
    Didn't expect to get up to fourth place starting from 11th. I think that's because drivers in front of me made mistakes going off or crashing and because I didn't do a pitstop.
    Fourth is good. Now I don't get another 10 kilo's for third place.

Excellent commentary from Joseph Wright. Well done!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Larry Thomas

Larry Thomas Pro Driver Donator

Great racing indeed. Respect to you also Toni, it takes two to have great racing.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Larry Thomas

Any replays?
    Please.

16. Johnny Gutierrez

Like John said, Joseph Wright's commentary is excellent. Very enjoyable. Thank you Joseph.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Yeah I do that. It was just on these few occasions I was trying to find the limit under braking...and I found it. Lol :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Larry Thomas

Due to a technical problem arrived late to the circuit. Dived straight into the car while my crew changed from race trim to qualifying trim.
    Managed a P2.

Race time! Two Porches on the front row with a pack of Mazdas and Mercedes behind.
    On the formation lap I stuck to Andrew's rear as I knew he would be speeding up one corner before the last otherwise that pack behind would simply double us both down the back straight and then it would be (nearly) impossible to overtake. BUT, Andrew did not do what I KNEW he would do, he DID NOT speed up.:eek:
    And the inevitable happened, at turn one I had lost two places and the chance of a podium:(.
    But anyway it made for an interesting race. Had some nice (and not so nice) fights, got some damage, repaired it all, but my front tyre pressures and temperatures were way down. At first I thought it was perhaps because I was driving slow being trapped behind the traffic.
    But then when I got some clean air the problem persisted:eek: and I couldn't get any decent times in.
    At the end I came in 5th.

After the race I asked my engineer what was up with the car. He told me because of technical problems with my car they put me in one of John vd Geest's old Porsches but they didn't have time to take out the 20kg of ballast or to adjust the setup for the ballast:eek:. When I politely asked him why the F*** he did not tell me he said "We didn't want to distract you from your race":rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

@John vd Geest

Its because you are getting old.
    Im only 45 years young :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. John vd Geest

WHAT ... !!??
    upload_2018-9-2_11-44-3.jpeg