Round 7 Monza 66 10K full course

Discussion in 'F1 Classic 1967 Series - S2 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

Well Done Jukka, As mentioned in chat I scuttled my own chances tonight by changing something and getting it wrong (badly ****ing wrong :mad:) at the last minute.
    Setting the Honda up for straight line speed makes it pretty unpleasant in the turns anyway, but I ended up with something that seemed incapable of turning any corner unless under way too much opposite lock.
    It was all I could do to even keep the front of the field in view half the time.
    Well, it's been a very enjoyable season. If there's another I won't be bloody altering the car on race night again! (might take the BRM if the tires are fixed too - just as punishment...)

• Like Like x 3
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  2. Bill Grewcock

Bill Grewcock Pro Driver

The Brabham was never going to shine at a power circuit like Monza but, with the three Brabhams qualifying together at the back of the grid, we were set for a race-within-a-race. Sure enough the opening laps saw us settle down into a Brabham group with Steen leading, me in the middle and Jens bringing up the rear whilst the faster guys did their thing up front. For several laps I was clinging on to the tail of Steen until I made a slight error braking into the Parabolica and lost a vital second or two. Steen was a few tenths faster and more consistent too so, try as I might, I could not close the gap and we remained in this order until the chequered flag.
    Congrats to Jukka, John and Tim for the podium places and commiserations to Mac for his engine failure on the last lap.
    Congratulations to Jukka on a well deserved Championship victory ... you really had to work for that one, Sir :).
    Thank you John for putting this championship together ... every bit as enjoyable as season 1 :cool:.

Looking forward to watching Caitlin's broadcast to see the antics of the guys at the front :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Broadcast link

• Like Like x 2
  4. John vd Geest

I wonder if you set the rev limit over 100? I've tried that, but soon found that the engine is stressed too much like that, so I kept it on 100.

Jukka and me were a few seconds in front of Mac and Tim, untill I pushed Jukka with a slight contact in the wall, so there was nothing to do but wait for him to regain the lead.
    That gave Mac and Tim the opportunity to close right up to us. Now the action really began. A four way battle for first place. I didn't mind, because it made for some great television LOL! I like Jukka, but I would have liked Mac to win the race. He would have deserved it just as much as Jukka.

So Jukka won the championship. Well done Jukka :).

I'm not sure if I will do another series with the F1 1967 mod, because the signups are a bit low (10 per race). If it would have been over 15, I would have done a third series.
    Thanks to all drivers who participated in this series, and I will see you on track somewhere :).

• Like Like x 3
  5. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

I set it at 101 or 102 but I wasn't aware that engine failures and mechanical faults were a thing with this mod :/

• Like Like x 1
  6. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

What an amazing mod and what an amazing series!

Congrats to @Jukka Drugg for winning both. You are a very well deserved victor!
    Well done to @Tim Muttram for keeping him honest right to the end. You almost had him there!
    And a special mention to my good friend @Mac Shepherd . You drove the race of your life here!

Thanks for the great series, everyone! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

Hoping we do at least another historic AC series though, even if it's not in these cars. Maybe a 1950's or 1970's mod?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jukka Drugg

Jukka Drugg Pro Driver

I am still in disbelieve that I actually won this race. I was sure four times that I´ve lost it. First with John when we had that contact (glad I got it back on track with minimal damage, lost some straight line speed but gladly minimal) and another time when there was 12minutes left and he pulled over 0,4s gap. Lotus was little slower on straights and when practicing I dropped really fast when dropped from slipstream (that was 0.4s long). I had to push like grazy when that happend and thou got the fastest lap and managed to close the cap and to John. Same happened with Mac at last minutes and again had to take lot of risks to catch him. Last time I thought I lost it when I got out of second lesmo at last lap and Mac was 0.3s behind and I was sure he will be in perfect spot to slipstream pass me after parabolica. Mac´s misfortune was my fortune. I could not risk to settle for 2nd place because if Tim would have pass John and got fastest lap at last lap we would have been equal on points and 1st but Tim was ahead on 2nd places and average finish so think he would have taken championship. Was really exiting race and great battles :)

Thanks for nice racing through season and congrats :) And thanks for Caitlin to make exellent broadcasts for these races :) I am thinking to consentrate on single make championships. It´s more fair to everyone to have equal equipment and winner not having to think if it was me or my superior car that made me win race or championship. Maybe single make championships have more participants when you are not put back because of your equipment.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Stef Williams

Stef Williams Pro Driver

I watched the race when I got back last night. Wow! Your prediction of it being a great track was spot on John. It’s the only track where it hasn’t been a two way race between jukka and Tim. Very exciting to watch and a great job as ever from Caitlin. Congrats to all on the podium and commiserations to Mac.
    I really enjoy these cars but they are hard to drive and even if I knew the first thing about setups, I don’t know how consistent I could be in them. I also personally like the idea of a series with the gtl mod though that’s likely to be even more uneven balance between the cars.

• Like Like x 3
  10. John vd Geest

Do you have any suggestions for a mod? I'm also thinking about the Assetto Corsa RSS F1 Lotus 79.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  11. John vd Geest

I had thought of the GPL mod, but as you said there's a big balance gap between the cars, so there would have been a lot of discussion about it.

12. Fabrizio Ferrante

Fabrizio Ferrante Pro Driver

Really good race for the four guys in front. Nice job! Unfortunately Tim had a bit of problems with his car and bad luck for Mac at the end.

Big Congratulations to Jukka and Tim for the wonderful season. Two fantastic drivers!

Thanks John for the organization and Caitlin for the really nice broadcasts.

About my season, I had a lot of troubles with Cooper and only in the second part of season (unfortunately with fast tracks mostly) I finally found a decent setup, thanks to some tips said by Tim. I was too low in heights. In any case, I saved the savable, bringing points home.

I hope for a new season with classic F1 ('67 or even other seasons).

Thank you all again!

• Like Like x 3
  13. John vd Geest

The F1 67 mod would have to become more popular in the community. It doesn't really make sense to have it broadcasted if there are only 10 cars on track.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

Lotus 98T :cool:

15. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

I've suggested this elsewhere to little interest - but the Formula Easter cars are a blast, very varied in looks, but pretty similar in pace.
    Most importantly as they're old Soviet single seaters they're pretty simple from a setup perspective, although there is some very clever tech in them at a fraction of the cost that Western teams achieved (although the latter doesn't affect us much!).
    Words like Lada and 1.3 have never hidden so much fun :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

Agree on that, all these old Formula Easters are very fun to drive, might be able to combine one or two variants into a series. Would prefer 2 shorter races like 20-20 minutes over a longer one with these rather low powered cars.

17. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

It's just how you pick the tracks - I had half a series thought out using the better Eastern Block tracks available to suit these, plus one or 2 Western track variants that suit slower, grippy cars.
    That said I suspect the races would be better if limited in time, 2x20 could be fun - but I've really gone off reversed grids of late as they always seem to cause issues that shouldn't happen. Great for TV, but also the course of serious attrition throughout the seasons.
    If John becomes interested I'll be happy to throw my track ideas at him. I honestly think that the entire field of cars can be available to race - only the AE2 seems noticeably quicker in standard trim, so just restrict the faster drivers from using it....

18. Jukka Drugg

Jukka Drugg Pro Driver

Lotus 49, Lotus 25, Maserati 250F 12C? Any links for formula easter? Haven’t tried them

• Like Like x 2
  19. Martyn McClune

Martyn McClune Pro Driver

I practiced all week getting 2.20 lap time at best . Put more negative camber trying to increase lateral grip in the two 3rd gear corners but my lap times increased to 2.21. I tried adjusting toe slightly trying to get a better turn in into corner but just couldnt get balance right for whole track .
    I did put engine limiter to 102 and blew an engine in practice:eek: so ran at 100 after that.
    Had a good setup but didnt do enough practice with race fuel load .
    Overcooked thottle in last corner loosing grip and crashing all by myself. Pitted but was lapped while repairing.
    Was so annoyed with myself so it was DNF for god knows how many times through my race seasons.
    Not giving up though asI think am getting faster. Also was just starting to get to grips setting up my cars
    Congrats Jukka (sorry for the tap in quali), top drawer racing :)
    Mac, I watched the replay and was very sorry to see your race end like that. I should have posted something after i blew an engine in practice after increasing engine limit.
    All that is left to say is whats next? as i should keep my practice up.....I like open wheelers :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. John vd Geest

I like the Mclaren 66 bonus car in the F1 67 mod, but it only has 1 skin.

• Friendly Friendly x 1