So… what's the deal with the duck?

Discussion in 'Zerobandwidth Autosports' started by Pasha Paterson, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Pasha Paterson

Pasha Paterson Pro Driver Broadcaster

acs 2018-10-13 09-38-40-77.png All of my cars in AC carry a logo affectionately dubbed "Guard Duck" with the text "Jeff-Bob Ford, Forever Oppo+". It's a long-ish story, but it bears explaining.

Back in 2011, there were a bunch of people who grew into a community around the #oppositelock off-topic forum on Jalopnik. When Google+ started up as a social media platform, many people who were dissatisfied with the direction of the Jalopnik forum jumped ship over to G+, and that community was half-jokingly dubbed Oppo+.

Jeff-Bob Ford was a frequent and much-loved participant in that online community, and had the nickname "Guard Duck" that had grown from much longer stories from his past. In 2017, he was diagnosed with cancer. As he began his battle with the disease, and it became clearer that he might not win it, the group got together and produced stickers with this Guard Duck logo on them, in tribute to his bravery and continued good cheer throughout the ordeal. On Thanksgiving Day of 2017, he posted a final message to the forum: "last". His humor and stalwart determination to keep going have certainly made a lasting impression on all who knew him.

Since our lovely imaginary race cars can be dressed up however we see fit, I have been carrying a much larger version of the Guard Duck sticker with me on all of my liveries, as a reminder of, and homage to, Jeff-Bob's spirit. I hope that, if he were around to see it, he'd be proud when the car finishes well, and laughing when … well, when the usual happens. ;)

• Like Like x 6