Assetto Corsa Comp SRO Sprints Series 3 Round 2 Barcelona

Discussion in 'Blancpain GT3 Sprint Series 3 Closed' started by Rob Milliken, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Felix de Jongh

Felix de Jongh Pro Driver

Such a good but frustrating race. Qualified 3rd, took 2nd at the start but had to let A. Williams have it back by turn 4. I basically went into tire saving mode from that point on and saw the guys disappearing slowly.

At some point though, Williams spun into turn 1 and I was able to overtake him. He had a lot more speed than me but I was able to defend it for a long time. At one point, 2 laps from the end, he overtook me but also overshoot his braking point, giving me a 2 second advantage. Half a lap later though I was hit by a backmarker who I was trying to overtake on the outside, since he was blocking the inside. My advantage of 2 seconds was down to 0.3 seconds on the final lap. Add in a mistake by me going wide into Würth and missing a downshift to second, and Williams was able to overtake me for second place.

I'm kinda mad at the backmarker, but in the end Williams had more pace anyway. Still, with Monza coming up my Mercedes is ready to win.

• Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  2. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

I like this game. The only thing I hate about it is the down-shift gear protection. You wouldn't believe how many times I've been grasping for gears on downshifts and the damn thing wouldn't let me. I know ... I have to let the revs come down far enough, but there's such a delay before it lets you. :mad::confused:

3. Alex Sander

Alex Sander Pro Driver

You know I watched the replay from both my own and from the driver behind me and I take it all back, I was ahead and I didnt see you in my blind spot, and you where holding your line and had no place to go as I was trying to stick to my line, its just a race incident (Green Porsche P5 at Qually Ricciardi). And my rejoin was bad, you were holding your line I was full in the wrong there.

If anyone wants to penalize me, I get it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  4. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

Congrats Jeffrey, revenge for Tuesday race (you should use Brakes 4 again :p)
    Great race too Felix. :cool: (pretty much exactly as you posted above)

I found the lapped cars great in this race, so thanks to all of them.
    Sorry to John near end, I thought you were letting me go into T1 (along with Felix) as you stayed wide but then turned in late.

Sooner they get rid of that F1 chicane, there maybe some passing chances at this track.

See you at Monza :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Christian Mentin

Christian Mentin Pro Driver

Hi Denis,
    in that race for me almost everything went wrong today.
    So 1st of all - i was looking up that incident for my own already.

As you were completely right i just did not see during the race that you were in pits already. Unfortunatly it was my 2nd 25min+ race so I am not really used to stops. Next time I will take a look into the list (thanks for clarifing i even did not recognized) if the car behind may have stopped already - apologies, next time i do not try to race people which are obviously on a different strategy.

Anyway I have to say that i tried to figure out what went wrong at this incident and for sure, I was bit late on the brakes, but we were obviously next to each other? From the perspective down the straight it seems that you are turning in into the turn although I am still holding my line. I spinned and went off track.

Not sure if this was clearly my fault when assuming we would been racing? (neclecting the fact for the moment that i just did not see that you already were in pits)
    Sorry once again, but it seems at least the incident did not influenced your race too much.

cheers Christian

• Like Like x 1
  6. John vd Geest

And I thought you decided to wait. No problem. All went well :)

7. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Had a nice steady race never going to be near the front but no matter where you are on track you are racing someone.

Got punted twice bit annoying but what annoyed me the most was going off the line 2 cars came passed never give the position back to me so lost 2 places before the race had even started.

Hold your position until the lights go green.

8. Tim Larsen

Tim Larsen Pro Driver

Is that even possible to do without getting a DT penalty? Out of order on the starting grid gives DT's the few times I managed to do that.

9. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

I thought it would of been a DT as well, Unless that penalty is switched off?

10. Davide Ricciardi

Davide Ricciardi Pro Driver

hey mate, I run out of fuel too :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. John vd Geest

A lot of guys ran out of fuel. Why are you all cutting it so close? You don't feel that extra 4 liters you put in. :D

12. Tim Larsen

Tim Larsen Pro Driver

The refill options during pitstop can be confusing if you haven't tried it - I had set a strategy to add 10l of fuel during the pitstop but was in doubt if it had been done when I drove out. When the race is longer then 60m, refueling is needed in most cars I think. I'd recommend anyone with empty tanks at the end to run a practise session and test pitstop strategy with refuelling and try it out a few times just to see how it behaves. Not being familiar with penalties, refueling, starting procedure etc are all hurdles during a 'real' race that can make or break the race for you (and your fellow drivers too if unlucky).
    Being new to simracing in general and ACC/GT3 racing in particular I had a steep learning curve. Before one of the races I invited Claus to join a server I setup on my home system - no issues with that as long as there's not 30 drivers, and we tried the various penalties - My favourite was when I added another 20% of weight to his Porsche! We tried stop and go penalties, drive throughs etc just go be familiar with what it looked like and how to serve them correctly.

On another note - I have signed up for a training session with the Coach Dave Academy - really looking forward to that. Since I have basically just self-taught I thought it would be a good idea to have some external help to let me know if I had managed put the pieces together in a reasonable fashion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Davide Ricciardi

I couldn't find the preset I saved before the start, therefore when I pitted I had to improvise. I find the pit chatbox selector unnecessary difficult to operate.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

It is realism ;) not like rF2 where you can hit first gear in when you drive 300km/h :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

:(Had a good but tough long race, only my 2nd long distance event in ACC so still on a leaning curve but getting better. I’ve never driven so hard just to finish in the teens :eek: a lot of very quick drivers here, but sadly also some crazy ones. The first few laps were carnage, hope some penalties get dished out. I narrowly avoided several pile ups and spinning cars and there was daft dive bombing going on. Once it settled I Had some great chases and fights throughout the race though, new pb’s etc and pit stop went smoothly, really enjoyed the challenge. Got as high as 13th. :oops: Had a great last few laps battle with Middleton to cap it off :cool:. My car felt good but the Aston seems dog slow out the last corner onto the long straight compared to other cars and I also kept over heating my left rear. I thought my 1:46 lap times would be fast enough here but I didn’t get a sniff of the top 10 :( great race.:cool: I finished a slightly duff 15th :( need to find more pace.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Davide Ricciardi

No worries mate, I'll not ask for a penalty, I usually don't do that even in the worse scenario. Race incident for me and the ones after that... :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

eh? I only put 110L in my Aston and still finished with about 3L. Are you running the v12? (Or oh crap was I running in a lower engine mode?! ) - I didnt check! - newb :rolleyes:

18. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

That's what I mean. Both times I ran out of fuel now was when I added fuel during the stop. I'm pretty sure it is not refueling the amount it says :mad: No, running the V8 as well.

Luckily I only dropped 2 places in the rankings since the others were a lap down :)

19. Christian Mentin

Christian Mentin Pro Driver

@Tim Larsen: That is so damn true!! I think we were on TS before? - so well i got 10mins of Practice after the update was finished. And i had to get used to a new Wheel Setup. I wanted to practice pit stops entering the lane correctly finding right pit, choosing strategy etc. during practice but i did not had time for that. During the Practice I did my fastest Barcelona time ever, so I was confident the setup was ok, although the update could also be helpful. Anyway: Caused by no practice in pit stops I recently faced:
    1st stop
    : No refulling at all + got a DT.
    2nd pit: DT - again something wrong i got Stop and Go and 1.8L of fuel for one lap back to pits again.
    3rd pit: stop and go and finally refuelling but i have to be honest, i may deserve DNF after my Stop and Go i went "back to pits" to get my fuel, i just could not manage to add it somehow after serving the Penaly

So the take-away for me, next time update check is mandatory before raceday to at least have some practice time for the specific pit, i just missed the update the days before so next time i hopefully will make it in time for practice...

Overall I can say, I was definitly racing some guys out there and had quite fun until everything was going bad during pit stops, and also afterwards i found some cars with slower pace than me, which is for me as beginner nice to see that i am at least not the slowest car in grid ;)

cheers christian

• Like Like x 2
  20. John vd Geest

That's actually not bad at all in a 32 cars field. You did better than 17 other drivers. And there were also a sh*t load of aliens so you did good. If you were only racing the last 17 guys, you would have won :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1