rFactor 2 Test Events

Discussion in 'Indy 125 2020 Closed' started by Ken Jagger, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

We will be running three 50 lap test events prior to the race, to give everyone the chance to get into the Oval racing groove :)

The test dates/times are:
    Monday 11th May 18:00 GMT
    Saturday 16th May 16:00 GMT
    Monday 18th May 20:00 GMT

The server will be configured the same as it will be for the race with Tyre Wear: Normal and Fuel Useage: x2. Private Qualifying will be used, consisting of 4 timed laps, 6 laps in total to include an out-lap and and in-lap. Between the three tests the server will be running for online practice at anytime.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Ken Jagger

The test server is now up for online practice. Any problems experienced please report them here.

3. Ken Jagger

Make sure you download and install both car & skin packs.

Indycar skins.jpg

4. Doni Yourth

Doni Yourth Pro Driver

I was on the pre-race server yesterday for a handful of laps. A-OK! :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

Hey Ken,
    I just jumped on server to test all was working, and I was in a private quali session with over 40 minutes remaining.
    I know it is only 4 laps each, but I'm hoping someone doesn't sit there for 30 minutes before doing their 4 laps :eek:

Edit: just joined again and forwarded session from practice and quali session is 1 hour long.

6. Ken Jagger

Good info so thanks Andrew.
    Qualifying time was set to the track default, not sure what that is without dissecting the track files, but I've now set the server to 6 mins/4 timed laps for qualifying so hopefully that has fixed it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Robert Waddell

Robert Waddell Pro Driver

Will the Sat practice race include a one hour practice?

8. Ken Jagger

The server will actually be running continuously for practice before the race. When nobody is on the server it resets to the practice session.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mathias Strauss

Mathias Strauss Pro Driver

@Ken Jagger I wont be able to participate in today practice race have to be w family

10. Ken Jagger

OK Mathias, thanks for letting us know. Because this is only a test event, there are no register/unregister requirements. Hopefully you will be able to run in the race on 23rd May.

11. Ken Jagger

Thanks to all those members who turned out today for the first test event. A few things that need to be fixed got identified, so hopefully the 2nd test event this coming Saturday 16th May will show they have been corrected.

12. Doni Yourth

Doni Yourth Pro Driver

Problems getting the carset to work online. Offline, I can load the Hinchcliffe #27 car and run it just fine. For certain, I have the correct carset loaded. However, in trying to join the server with this ride, rF2 just chokes and I get nowhere. I can join using the standard models which, unlike the carset versions, have adjustable fuel mix. Any suggestions for a fix, gys?
    Not likely that I can make this Saturday's organized trial. Should be able to make the Monday, May 18th go.

13. Ken Jagger

Tested running the #27 Hinchcliffe skin both offline and online and not had any problems.

After further investigation following the test race on Monday, I've run cars from both skinpack options back to back and any car in the Indycar 2014 v1.65 pack does not have adjustable fuel mixture, unlike in the default S397 Indycar. However my testing showed that the additional skinpack cars are a few tenth's quicker per lap compared to the defaults even without mixture adjustment.
    My recommendation then is to only use a car from the skinpack.

14. Ken Jagger

With the assistance of Ed Jones in testing tonight and along with some tweaks to server settings and configuration as a result of the 1st test last Monday, the following issues have been resolved or amended.

1. The Practice session in-game start time is now 11:00. This removes the heavy shadows around the track which some guys complained of at the last test.
    2. The race start procedure now works correctly for this track with a two lap, double file formation behind the Pace Car before the green light to start is given.
    3. The Qualifying session has been amended to 10 mins/6 Laps maximum. This will be run as Private Qualifying with no other cars on the track at the same time as yourself. This means you are allowed to do 1 out-lap, 4 timed laps and 1 in-lap. Do not exceed these limits otherwise a penalty will be applied.
    4. When a Full-Course Yellow flag is thrown, there will be 4 laps of Yellow running. Depending on when the lead car picks up the Pace car, this could mean only 3 laps running behind the Pace Car. During the Pace car running watch carefully for when the sim tells you its OK to pit, as it varies if you are not on the lead lap. If you pit out of sequence the sim will give you a penalty.

15. Ken Jagger

Test race 2 is running today at 16:00 GMT

16. Ken Jagger

Thanks to Ed Jones, Ricardo Almeida & Mark Hightree for joining the test race today and helping to prove the server & race settings are now working correctly.

The final test race is on Monday at 20:00 GMT and I strongly suggest if you haven't done any practice yet and you intend to run in the full race on 23rd May, that you make sure to attend this test.

I do not expect to have members turning up 5 mins before the race and asking questions about race fuel, expected total race time, what happens under a yellow etc, etc.

17. Mark Hightree

Mark Hightree Administrator Staff Member Donator

I agree. It's important that if you have not participated in an Indy test event that you take advantage of the event on Monday. It will benefit not only you but all drivers in the race. I was reminded of things I had forgotten since I drove at Indy last year and I believe the test race today will greatly enhance my performance and strategy at the big event next weekend. Big thanks to the guys at today's race. It was a lot of fun!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ken Jagger

Confirmation and clarification of a few things we were reminded of in tonight's final test race.

1. If you collect a penalty for anything and the track is Yellow and the sim instructs you to enter the pits, then even if you are not on the lead lap you must comply. It's likely that the penalty will not be cleared and you will still need to take it again, until it clears. This is caused by rF2 not being able to handle the situation of penalties under yellows correctly. If you get bitten by this then it's tough luck.
    2. Passing either side of cars ahead of you before the start finish line on a restart after a Yellow will give you a penalty.