Trial event for Raceroom Racing Experience (R3E)

Discussion in 'RaceRoom Racing Experience' started by Ken Jagger, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Following positive comments received here at SRO, we have decided to test the water with you, our members, by running a couple of trial sessions and races using this racing Sim. For those of you unfamiliar with this Sim, it is Free To Play, using a limited number of cars and tracks provided with the initial download.

For the opening Trial sessions , we will be using Free Content, the 134 Judd V8 car (obviously based on the BMW 3-series) and the Raceroom Raceway Bridge course. We will have a server running next week between 14:00-24:00 BST on 7th and 11th October for practice, Hot Lapping and best time setting. No winners or losers for these events as they are purely for fun :)

R3E is available to download from STEAM. Full details of the Sim, it's add-on content and community events is available at http://game.raceroom.com/

R3E 134 Judd V8.jpg
    R3E 134 Judd V8 b.jpg
    R3E 134 Judd V8 c.jpg
    R3E Raceway Bridge.jpg
    R3E Raceway Bridge b.jpg
    R3E Raceway Bridge c.jpg
    R3E Raceway Bridge d.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Ken Jagger

If you fancy giving this a try then please register so we can get some visibility of interest. We can also use our system to record your best lap times :)
    https://www.simracingonline.co.uk/racing/seriesinfo/96

The server name in the Raceroom Multiplayer Lobby will be SRO R3E Trials

With little scheduled activity this weekend at SRO, I'll put the server up earlier than Sunday and for longer. It will run two consecutive 6hr Practice sessions.

Go on what have you got to lose, its all free!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Nice one :)

Raceroom was one of the first sims that got me back into online racing and although some could argue it's more simcade than sim (originally it was but I don't fully agree with that statement now) it's a lot of fun and the visuals with the audio make up for the bad points in my view.

My only regret is the developers getting rid of the season experiences, it was a turnkey way of doing a season without all the faffing about and I loved it. Then Sector3 removed it, I suppose because they felt that there was no need for it anymore.

I used to win quite a lot of open server races and then it got a bit silly with people driving the wrong way, causing crashes, usual stuff, lol

For a DX9 game it still looks amazingly good (certainly better than the likes RF2 in my view and maybe equal of Assetto Corsa from some angles).

...and of course being DX9 it's far less system fussy. I know people on other forums with old(ish) PC's that can run very high levels of detail with no issues. Which in some ways is great if you are a casual racer and don't have the funds to upgrade.

I'll have a go in the Beemer, it's nuts around here but that's part of the fun, lol

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ken Jagger

The Server is up early :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

I can't see the server in the lobby or am I looking in the wrong place.

6. Pasha Paterson

Pasha Paterson Pro Driver Broadcaster

+ looks beautiful
    + sounds great
    - broke my wheel setup
    - randomly dropped to 4 FPS while playing
    - can't control the car on this bumpy track without spending more time on setup than I care to spend
    - something like 23 seconds behind the leader

it's a no from me

have fun lads

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

You have to remember with this car. It's a hillclimb spec car not a normal type race car. With a whopping great Judd detuned F1 engine in the bonnet.

It's basically nuts, lol

You can't be aggressive with it, you need to try and flow the car through the corners. I set my initial time with the default setup if that give you an idea of time but if you attack the corners you'll spin it's as simple as that. However it is more of a hotlap car than a race car for sure.

You left before I mentioned it but this car has traction control, by default it's off but I ran with it in number 2, which was about right for me.

Made a slight adjustment to the rear wing, made a change the the final drive and softened the bump dampers for the kerbs. That was it.

I'm still about two seconds away from the fastest time but I'm losing half a second through sector 1, half through sector 3 and about nine tenths through sector 2. It's all about getting the car turned in and then on the power as soon as possible. He's in a different world at the moment anyway.

Don't worry though, if it makes you feel any better, whenever I do open server races with these cars, about 80% of the field spin most of the time! lol :)

I think my style works on Raceroom anyway. I'm not good on Assetto Corsa, I hate the lack of grip from the tyre model. Dives me nuts. lol

Anyway, that was fun after the disaster in GT3 last night, a crazy car around an entertaining track. May get back on later to try some more :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Very good idea. Race Room its a good simulator. And this car its a blast! Time trials are a fun way to race without the problem of schedules. I miss a lot of races because I arrive home too late...:(

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ken Jagger

I've not experienced any of the problems you have Pasha, which is strange for your standard of racing skills. Default setup works ok on first acquaintance so not sure what to suggest. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Yeah I was a bit puzzled myself. I seem to remember some member of RD mentioning that their PC's didn't like the new visual effects that were introduced at the time. Depth of Field, that sort of thing. As for the bumpiness, I am baffled by that slightly. This track is quite smooth, although you do have to use the kerbs for a good lap time.

11. Ken Jagger

The server is definitely up Nigel as Joao Sousa and myself are on it now. Are you searching with "SRO.."?

12. Pasha Paterson

Thanks for the advice everyone. Always appreciated.
    I might try it offline a few times later just to see if it makes any difference.
    I don't think I'll be able to make the Thursday session; I'll be at work all day.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Ken Jagger

Thanks for giving it a try :)
    The plan is to follow up the open trials with a handful of races to see how it goes, so hopefully you can resolve your issues and join one of those.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Pasha Paterson

It might very well be that I'm just incompetent with the car. :oops: ;)
    I've been tempted to just go buy the WTCR pack since that's more my skill set anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ken Jagger

I think even with the Free version of R3E you can still try cars before you buy them? So you can try the WTCR cars beforehand :)

"Go to store ingame, find the car you want and then under the buy option there is a test drive option. Then you get 5 minutes on track with the car, and when 5 minutes is up then you get sent back to the store. But you can start it all over again after if you want to, so new 5 minutes"

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Nigel Middleton

I loaded Raceroom from the game it loads race07 went on multiplayer about 8 servers running 2 were Raceroom could not see SRO

17. Ken Jagger

TS?

18. Ken Jagger

Not sure what you mean or what you're doing Nigel. :confused:
    Have you installed Raceroom Racing Experience in STEAM and run it from there?

19. Nigel Middleton

Can be on TS tomorrow Ken about 4pm

20. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

Hey Lads

thank you for the RRE time trial.
    was busy today but managed to sneak a few laps in

That car is insane, but just manageable.
    cot some lovely laps in, althou im sure slow.

im loving RRE , much better than AC and rf2.
    my PC runs it well despite being ancient(intel i5 650, geforce 550ti)

hope to make thursdays event.
    will our times be posted?

• Like Like x 1